Sunday 22 September 2013

Loch Katrine

Yesterday I went on a trip with the International Student Centre to Loch Katrine. This is what inspired Sir Walter Scott to write “The Lady of the Lake”.

(If you feel like reading the poem, it's here:  http://www.incallander.co.uk/ladyoflake.htm

We went on a boat cruise around the loch which allowed us to see the beautiful scenery of the lake and mountains. The captain of the boat was very funny and made jokes while also pointing out interesting spots along the shore. The loch is owned by Scottish Water and provides most of the water for the city of Glasgow. There is no pumping involved - only gravity. Queen Victoria opened the aqueduct system in 1859 and planned to stay overnight on the loch but when the soldiers there shot off their guns in her honour, they broke all the windows in the house. 

After the boat cruise we went for lunch in the only restaurant there. I ordered a brie and onion chutney open sandwich with a salad, chips and hot chocolate. The hot chocolate was the best I have ever tasted and obviously the rest of my meal was delicious too. All the food here is delicious!

Following lunch we wandered the path around the loch and took more photos. It really was beautiful, especially the mist on the mountains. We were slightly delayed getting back due to a possible missing person – I still don’t really know whether or not they sorted that out!

I came back to a full house since several of my flatmates had friends over. I find it really nice to come home to lots of people after living alone all summer. I missed my flatmates while I was gone for the day. We all played cards and in the evening played some drinking games and went to a flat party next door.

Today I went for brunch with a friend and had a proper Scottish breakfast with a tattie scone, black pudding, baked beans, fried egg, sausages, bacon and a bread roll. Unfortunately the rest of my afternoon was spent tackling a stats problem but tonight I'm going to Shannon's for dinner and dessert.




















No comments:

Post a Comment