Monday 6 January 2014

Afternoon Tea at The Balmoral

Yesterday Catherine and I went to The Balmoral, a really fancy hotel on Princes Street for Afternoon Tea. I enjoyed getting dressed up and doing something grown up with my sister. It was fun to put on our almost matching blue dresses and do our hair and make up. We were greeted at the door by a man wearing tartan trousers opening the doors for us. It was so exciting to see behind the doors of the hotel I've always seen such fabulous people emerge from. We were led into the palm court and seated on a low chair facing into the room. The greeter laid serviettes on our laps and explained the afternoon tea service to us. We both ordered tea - the Balmoral Blend for me and Darjeeling for Catherine. At first we both felt quite awkward. We were nervous that we'd embarrass ourselves I think. 

We were served the Chef's Amuse Bouche (what a cool name) which was a parsnip and apple soup. It was served in a tiny bowl, poured in front of us from what looked like a little milk jug. It was actually really delicious but at first we worried about how exactly we were supposed to eat it. After watching other people we later determined that we'd done it properly! There was also a waiter wearing a kilt so we really had the Scottish experience. 

The first tiered stand to arrive was the sandwiches. There was roast beef, cucumber, egg salad, cheese, ham and salmon. No haggis, thank goodness! Afterwards we had scones with clotted cream and individual jam pots - blackcurrant (my favourite) and raspberry (my second favourite). There was a selection of cakes - chocolate, shortbread, gingerbread, lemon and caramel. I also had a mousse that was plum and ginger. 

One of the best parts of the experience was that there was a harpist playing from a balcony. At one point he switched to playing Happy Birthday and we all clapped politely as someone's afternoon tea was delivered with a candle. It felt very civilized! 

Of course we made a point of going to the bathrooms and they didn't disappoint! The sinks were amazing - ornate China with a pink floral pattern. There were lots of fun soaps and hand creams and thick towels to dry our hands with. Catherine went first and came back to the table and whispered "Oh my goodness. Just go, Ruth. You have to see this." I really wish I'd taken my camera. 

At the end they gave us two tins of their Balmoral Blend tea to take home and wrapped up our leftovers (we were so full) in the fanciest doggy-bag packaging I have ever seen. 

All in all it was such a fun experience and I'm so glad we got to do it.  

Catherine and I about to enjoy our delicious scones

No comments:

Post a Comment